Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mimicry

Today at school I had a meeting where we discussed 12 brain principles. One of the things that I got from it was the reinforcement that children are a product of their environment. You can tell so much about a child's parents by watching their behavior, since they learn everything through mimicry. A perfect example of this is Donovan. Every time we get home from going out one of the first things that Scott does is he sheds his clothes. Donovan will wait until he sees what daddy does and then follow suit. If Daddy only takes off his shoes than Donovan will walk around barefoot. If Daddy is down to his underwear than Donovan too is down to his tidy-whiteys! Gavin is also a wonderful mimic. The only way that we have a peaceful transition when Scott goes off to work is if Gavin and I see him off. There is a bit of a ritual that we MUST go through. Gavin sits on Daddy's lap as Daddy pulls out of the driveway (slowly does he go, I wouldn't let Gavin be in any danger!!). As soon as he gets to the edge of the driveway Gavin says "bye-bye" to mommy and gets very angry when I open the door and take him away from his father. soon this fit ends as Daddy waves good-bye and blows kisses. Today Scott was waiting for me to get home so that we could "hand off" Gavin (I keep wanting to say the baby, I need to change that thought process). He had to work early, as mentioned earlier I worked a little late! Gavin was in the front seat "Driving" the car. He kept trying to change gears, steer the wheel and repeated "beeb beeb" over and over again. The funniest part was seeing him reach for the seat belt and drape it over his lap. I love that he wants to wear a seat belt, it is a great lesson in mimicry!!!!

Apparently Gavin did not get a nap today. It is almost 7pm and I can see the truth in that. He keeps doing the oddest things, screaming for no reason. I know I should keep him up so that he sleeps in a little for Scott, but I think that when Gavin grabs a blanket and says Night-Night (which he does when he is tired) I will start our nighttime routine.

Talking about blankets. Both of my boys are obsessed with blankets. In the middle of the summer from the time Donovan was around 2 years old he would go around the house and collect every blanket in the house. He would then get into bed and insist that we cover him with each of them. To this day he still has to be covered with blankets. He has several that are really important. A doggy blanket my mother made him when he was a baby, his fathers Chiefs Football blanket, the Ducky blanket he got last year from my mom, and the Nemo quilt I made for him this past Christmas! Gavin seems to be mimicking his brother. He quite often has to have a blanket. If we are in the car and Donovan has a blanket and he doesn't (which happens too often) than Gavin will throw a temper fit. He will often troll the house looking for quilts and blankets. At night he too covers up with as many blankets as I allow. I normally limit it to about 2-3. The other day I came home from work and he was still taking a nap. He had been covered with about 6-8 blankets. Too cute!!!

last little update. I had my latest ultrasound on Friday. I am indeed having an Amelia Larkann. I am excited to have 2 boys and a little girl. She is adorable, even though she only weighs a pound. She kept kicking and punching the ultrasound thingy. She at one point pushed off my bladder (no wonder I have to use the restroom every 30 minutes!) and jumped. You could see her little legs in action. On Tuesday I had my Ob appointment. We talked about my migraines, and about setting a date for the birth. I am scheduled for July 28, which also happens to be my stepfathers birthday. I couldn't accommodate his wish to name her Amelia Richard, so I decided to give him a granddaughter on his birthday. My doctor did mention that it is a high probability that I will go earlier - since women w/diabetes have issues with pre-eclampsia, placenta deterioration, and other medical issues. I just hope that she isn't a preemie like her brother!


Well, Gavin is now asleep at 7:30 pm and I am thinking about retiring early! I am soooo tired!!!

3 comments:

Larkann said...

This Blanket thing . . . . , does that mean that I need to be sure that Gavin and Donovan get new blankets if I make something for Mia?

And mimicing and rituals. . . don't you remember Emily's ritual - Wave, Hug, Kiss - how old was she 14 when she gave up the ritual because everyone made fun of her? Ritual is actually good. It add stability to a life - especially to a childs life.

Genevieve said...

I know that both boys would love a new blanket. Tonight when I put Gavin down he kept asking for more blankets and would giggle each time I put one on. Donovan had me layer him with 4 blankets and only stopped there because his doggy blanket is missing in action (either in the car or laundry)

Ivalo said...

That is so weird. Don't they get hot? My kids don't even want a blanket at all half of the time.

Edith did that exact same thing - the wave hug kiss. But it was more of a hug, kiss, wave. During preschool I would have to do it about 3 times to get out the door. Now she just wants a hug, or others times just blows a kiss