Thursday, August 13, 2009

Cloth Diapers

A bit before Mia was born I remember reading my sister Stacie's blog about cloth diapers. It got me thinking about my childhood. I remember vividly the bucket of diapers in the bathroom. My mother washed the diapers and folded them. The nostalgia of those memories filled me with a desire to go back to my childhood when Gavin was born. I HATED the bucket of bleach water in the bathroom. I HATED folding the diapers because I couldn't figure out how to do them. The pins had me on pins and needles. I know I stuck him at least once.

Interestingly enough, things are different with Mia. Stacie's blog got me thinking once again about trying. After speaking with my mother I learned that you don't need a bucket of bleach water in the bathroom. At least not while you are breastfeeding. Apparently breastfed babies poop just washes out in the wash. No need for bleach, which is harsh on tender bums.

Each time I put a cloth diaper on Mia I smile. It feels good not to be filling up my trash can with dirty diapers. Besides that the dog doesn't get into the trash and spread it through the entire house. Folding the pre-folded diapers (a life saver, no longer do I need a masters degree in diaper folding) gives me a sense of peace and calm. These cool little snappies that kind of grasp the cloth instead of pinning the baby soothes my soul. I just love cloth diapers.

Now if I can just get Scott feeling comfortable in putting the diapers on Mia. We got a goodly amount of disposable diapers from my baby shower. I am sure until they have been used Scott will continue to avoid the cloth ones. It is truly funny that a man that can figure out the intricacies of mechanics and electrical gadgets can't figure out to put a diaper on an 8 pound little girl!

1 comment:

Larkann said...

Lessons learned:

A - Only first babies can be put in cradles, car seats, or any other aparatus close to the floor - because the older curious child will never let a sleeping baby be.

B - If Gavin can get up on the dresser and cover the bedroom carpet, himself and his grandmother with shampoo, he can definitely climb anywhere. Added caution: Don't take your eyes off him in the grocery store or you'll be pulling him off the top shelf!!