Saturday, January 24, 2009

Into the second trimester

Ah heaven! That is what it feels to be slipping into the second trimester. The nausea is wearing away, the exhaustion is lightening up and the excitement is growing. I had my third ultrasound last monday. It was absolutely amazing to see my wee little bean look like a baby instead of a gummy bear (as it had at 8 weeks). I sat (or rather lay there) in awe as I watched the baby dance and twist. Fun, I'll have another active one!!!! My next ultrasound is February 16. I'll be 16 weeks then and hopefully I will get a sneak peak at the sex of the baby. If not I'm sure the preceding u/s will uncover that mystery.

Why so many u/s you ask? Well, at 8 weeks they went ahead and tested me for Gestational Diabetes since I had it with Gavin. Lo and behold my blood sugars were high. At my last doctors appointment with my perinatologist (fancy baby doctors with really cool high tech ultrasounds) the doctor informed me that for a woman this early in her pregnancy it was unusual to have blood sugars this high. He put me down as having Type II diabetes and suspects that I was diabetic previous to the pregnancy. Great! No more pizza, cake, ice cream, blah, blah, blah! The good news is that I will have 8 months of eating healthy to get me started. I have to get testing 12 weeks after the baby is here to see if I do indeed have Diabetes. And if it ends up that I don't I have to have testing every year for the rest of my life. Thanks Polycistic Ovarian Syndrome, obesity, and genentics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, do I want a girl or a boy? I know that is on the minds of so many! As well as myself! I keep waffling. I want a girl for various reasons. I am close to my mother and I want that for my children. I know that although I love my mother in law I don't call her every other day and ask for advice, chat about the kids, ect! I know that although my daughter in laws will love me (what's not to love?) they won't confide in me as a daughter would. Not only that but have you seen little boys clothes? They are not cute at all!!!!!!! I have a wonderful friend at work who is Greek. She has a wonderful track record of "knowing" the gender of a baby. She has told me that I am having a girl. As does my mother believe I am carrying a little girl.

Having a boy would be the easy route! I already have two boys. We are all set clothes wise. They may not be as cute as little girls clothes, but I have them coming out my ears (except we are reaching the 2T's which for some reason I didn't save alot of Donovan' 2T's - I think he wore them out and stained them. For some reason I can't put stained clothes on my kids.) Not only do we have the clothes, but I already know how to raise boys. I already have a routine going! Besides that - Donovan really likes having his own room and I know will throw a huge coniption if he has to give it up and share with Gavin. Although (this is really weird) he has said that if the baby is a girl he wouldn't mind sharing his room with her! NOT HAPPENING!!!!!!

Either way I will be happy. I guess it really doesn't matter one way or the other, but I sure do hope the next couple weeks flies by and the u/s tech can discern a sex!!!! Either way I will have 7 more months with at least one u/s a month to finally get that sneak peak!!!

1 comment:

John M. Green said...

Isn't it wonderful to have that feeling of helping one of Heavenly Father's children come to earth for their Second Estate! I too remember that happy feeling of knowing that another child was coming our way. Prepare for Diabetic medis such a Metformin and Glyperide to help bring down your blood sugars. Pizza in moderation is ok. Kiss goodbye soda's or prepare for complications. Want some encouragement to live good...go to a diabetic clinic in a VA hospital and watch all those men who have no legs and are blind. Each will tell the same story. They kept eating bad food. hmmm??? Girl or boy. So far you have a hubby that has strong male sperm. I wonder what will come. You'll be happy. I hope your little boys will grow up being close to their mom.