Monday, February 23, 2009

ER visit in an ambulance

Today is Gavin's birthday. Ironically two years ago I was in the hospital having a baby, which was a good thing because of the Gestational Diabetes if he didn't come when he did we would have had a still born instead of an incredibly active two year old. Why is it ironic?

I've had a sinus infection for the past week. I've been on antibiotics for it, but apparently it can mess with your diabetes. This morning my bloodsugars were really low at work. I was shaky, not making any sense whatsoever, and felt like i was walking through water. I couldn't remember Scott's work number and they couldn't find it anywhere (for some stupid reason i didn't have it listed on my emergency contact list). I even called my mother in Seattle and my old Bishop. The nurse at school couldn't get my sugars to regulate and wouldn't let me drive home, and neither would the principal. So, they called the EMT's. I got a nice little expensive ride in an ambulance and an all day stay in the ER. I almost got to spend the night, because they too had a hard time regulating my sugars. They finally used a pic line and gave me sugar water in my veins (very weird) and that did it. I'm at home now, but won't be working tomorrow. Apparently some of my students saw me leave in the ambulance. That will be fun when I come back to school!

3 comments:

Lynette said...

I'm glad you're okay. That is very ironic! :)

Larkann said...

I guess you haven't been able to give the rest of the story. . . . I wonder what happened after you called this evening. Did the Dr have you go in and get shots to regulate yourself more? I hope Gavins birthday was happy regardless. The fun thing about being 2 and having a birthday, they have no clue what exactly day it is, so if the celebration comes late, that is fine with him.

The biggest thing for you is that you and baby Mia are ok - Gavin will have weeks and months to celebrate his second year of life. Love Mom

Larkann said...

PS. . . She better be OK!!! I bought her some pink onsies at Wal Mart today - not much, but they sure are cute!!